Monday, September 3, 2007

Lost and Suburbia

I lost Friday's picture of the house, and we didn't have the energy to drive all the way out to Steiner Ranch to take one this weekend, but of course I'll have an early morning shot tomorrow that I'll eventually upload.

For those of you who don't know, Steiner Ranch is about 30 minutes west of where we currently live in central Austin. It's suburbia. It's Master Planned. It has exemplary schools, really big SUVs, BBQ restaurants, and rolling hill country and lake views. My friends at work tease me endlessly - "you'll have to get rid or your crappy '89 Prelude b/c the HOA won't allow you to have that once you move in", "you'll have to get a F250 and a bouncy castle for the front yard" (of course I said, hey, as long as the truck is pulling a boat, I don't mind), "Do they know you are a vegetarian? Are you sure they will let you move in?". Of course they are just closed minded and jealous - I think...

I drive Noah out to Laura Bush Elementary School (hey, at least it's not George Bush - wouldn't you rather have Laura as president?) every morning turning my 15 minute morning commute into a 1 and a half hour commute (my poor car is not happy about that BTW). Christine picks him up every afternoon. It's not easy, but after last week I can't imagine Noah having to switch schools in January, move houses, and get a new sister. That would push us all over the top I'm afraid.

No comments: